Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Odds and Ends

Things are coming along here in The Steel City.  Nothing exciting has happened except for the little odds and ends.  I do have a couple of irons in the fire as far as job possibilities, but nothing concrete yet.  In the meantime, I'm in the process of enjoying the summer.  Here are a few slices of life from Pittsburgh.

"When Pigs Fly" from Primanti Bros.
When it comes to food in this area, Primanti's is synonymous.  The sandwich that that was made famous by the produce wholesalers and truck drivers in the Strip District is now known nationwide.  When I got a call from my friend John asking to meet him for lunch the other day I jumped at the chance. I was looking forward to seeing him, and also looking forward to trying their newest sandwich. This week the "When Pigs Fly" sandwich debuted.  It has the usual fixins: coleslaw, french fries, and tomato, but this sandwich has turkey, ham and bacon, with a fried egg.  The description sounds like it isn't for the faint of heart or those with heart issues, but to sum up this creation in one word: delicious.  If you want to try it get to a Primanti's near you before the end of August, being that it's only available for a limited time.  Proceeds from sales of the sandwich benefit regional food banks in Western Pennsylvania and West Virginia.

On the other end of the health and wellness spectrum, I've been attempting to improve my health this summer by swimming and getting on my bike.  My wife and I picked up one for me to go along with hers this spring at a great bike shop on the North Shore call Bicycle Heaven.  The shop has two stories and is a bike shop and museum that also repairs bicycles.  The upper floor is a museum filled with classic and rare bikes including the X1 from "Pee Wee's Big Adventure."  Pittsburgh is slowly becoming a bike friendly town and there isn't to view the city than the trails along the rivers here.  The North Shore trail goes past Heinz Field, PNC Park and over to Washington's Landing.   This week I went down along the Monongahela River.  Here are some pics that I took that can also be found on my Instagram account:


In my last post, I wrote about the end of "The Mark and Lynda Podcast."  The last show went out with a bang.  Surprisingly, I didn't get too sad.  I came up with a brainstorm this weekend with the idea of putting together a video as a tribute to the podcast.  I took some of the videos that Mark Thompson had uploaded on YouTube, and added music to it.  Here is the result:  

The response was overwhelming from the die-hard listeners to the podcast as well as a shout out from Lynda on Twitter and a note from Mark.  Their kudos meant a lot.

That's all I have for now.  Thanks for letting me share some odds and ends.

2 comments:

  1. That "Pig Sandwich" made some in the restaurant salivate at the sight of the plate. They were even more impressed with how quickly that "Pig" flew off the plate and disappeared.

    ReplyDelete